Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The dairy

To keep sanity while living inside city limits, I visit the dairy on Tuesday afternoons. Polo and choco teach me Spanish, I get covered in leche and cow crap and come home happy! My responsibilities have steadily grown over the last month:

Week 1: I timidly ask if I can help feed calves. They let me give a couple rows bottles (I'm sure thinking they will never have to see me again). Polo says about 2 words to me.

Week 2: I show up and get to feed bottles to calves again. Nothing too new. I realize that polo knows more English than he puts on.

Week 3: the feeding system has changed from bottles to dragging a water tank full of milk behind the 4wheeler. (Take in mind that it has no brakes. I frequently forget this). We dump the water, then I'm in charge of driving. There is a small learning curve for the tight corners but by the end I was getting better. After the milk, polo and I make a water round. It's about 95* and we re dying. Polo wishes he had brought his sombrero. (H was jealous of my chicarra (hat))

Week 4: Polo is officially a motor mouth. Who would have guessed? He will not shut up. I bring gatorades for everyone. Choco goes off to work on other stuff while polo and I do the calves by ourself. I am the driver for the entire afternoon. They make me back up the tank, I am fairly certain just so they can get a good laugh. I'm pretty horrible at it. 5 tries and its good. :)

No comments: